A Romani Woman's Take on Gypsy Costumes for Halloween

Comentários

Jon disse…
I hate these computer generated videos, so I transcribed the script.


A: So, are you coming to the halloween party?

B: Are you kidding? It's the highlight of my yearly social calendar!

A: So i take it you already have a costume?

B: Yes, i'm going to be a gypsy.

A: Fascinating. What kind of a gypsy?

B: What do you mean, what kind? A gypsy costume is a gypsy costume. You've seen them; they're kind of like pirates, but with more gold and ruffles, and they live in wagons instead of ships.

A: Thank you for educating me!

B: Any time. So, what are you going as?

A: Well, i was going to go as Catwoman, but i find your idea of impersonating another ethnicity highly inspiring. I think i'll go as a Gadje.

B: A what?

A: A person who is not Romani, a non-gypsy. Generally understood to be a member of the majority white population.

B: That's weird. That doesn't sound like fun. You can't really dress up…and you sound kind of angry.

A: So in your culture, dressing up as another identity means you're angry at them?

B: That's not what i said. Why are you hispanics always so defensive?

A: I'm not hispanic!

B: Sorry, "latino".

A: I'm not latino, either. But i'm going to have a lot of fun with my costume. I find white Americans very exotic, in a lightly seductive way. They're kind of like the English, but instead of tea and crumpets they all drink coca-cola and eat grilled cheese sandwiches. It's really no wonder you all have such poor nutrition.

B: What the hell are you talking about?

A: I'm joking about your culture. I have read many books and made some astute observations. I have to go make my costume now. It will be sooo authentic.

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Le Jeu de Robin et Marion

Atomium, Flea Market, Fête de la BD... biking around Brussels

Pesquisando minhas origens