iPhone fix - I am officially awesome (or almost)

Why am I awesome? The iPhone is working again!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my persistence was rewarded: I managed to replace the screen successfully even after all the accidents. Let me tell you the story.

Friday I come back home from rehearsal to find the replacement screen that I had bought from ebay in my mailbox. I was really anxious to try it out, but my schedule was tight. I had only 1h30 to have a shower, get ready, fix myself some food and get out of the door for the Red Bull 3style with Stella and Brooke.

Only on Saturday afternoon, after coming back from the radio, I had time to start my adventure. I was treating the iPhone with the utmost care - I really wanted to avoid any more accidents with the tiny cables. I managed to put the screen and metal support back together, but I had been too gentle with the cables, they would not easily connect to their sockets and I was afraid to apply pressure. When I tested the phone, it was completely dead. Back to the beginning.

This morning I saw Jon online and asked him how the heck I was supposed to connect the cables. He said "press until you hear click" (which is indeed the sound most connections do, when you manage them). I felt better about applying pressure on the thing.

The new attempt was very complicated. The cables are so close together in the phone that it is really tricky to have all of them correctly placed at the same time. I tried a bunch of approaches and finally "click, click, click"!

I connected the phone to the wall (it was out of batteries) and wait - tchanan! The little pineapple (it's jailbroken) appeared on the screen for my total bliss and I started screaming with joy (and startled Déjà). I did a bunch of tests, that turned out successful, apart from one. That is where the "almost awesome" comes in. The phone works, connects to the internet, all the buttons respond correctly, it makes calls but... the sounds only work through the loud speakers, not the small ones.

I imagine that I might have left some sort of plastic protection on, and didn't notice. I will have to open the phone again, unfortunately. But it works! It works! What a relief!

PS: for those of you with iPhone problems, go to www.ifixit.com for some great help.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Le Jeu de Robin et Marion

Atomium, Flea Market, Fête de la BD... biking around Brussels

Pesquisando minhas origens