Feminism in Brazil - a long way to go...

In my search for a theme for my masters application, I went to the library and got a bunch of random books to try and get inspiration. They had two things in common – first, they were about aspects of theatre that interested me and second, they were all very different from each other. I like variation.

The one that interested me the most was Contemporary Feminist Theatre. It was written in the early 90s as an overview of feminist theatre in Britain. Well, I have never been to Europe before (in fact, I am trying – and hoping - to got there to study) and I am not particularly interested in the subject of the book per se, but its ideas got me thinking...

I come from an all-women household, where my mother was the head, which means I have been used to the idea of “women's emancipation” since an early age. Or so I thought. Ever since I moved to Montreal, my view of myself as a woman and as part of society has been changing. Since I moved here and started enjoying much more freedom as a woman, I realized how much we are oppressed in Brazil.

I really need to study this more in depth and get a hold of some facts, but just from my own memories and from personal accounts from some friends, I noticed that there is an ingrained discrepancy in the way society treats boys and girls, women and men over there.

I must say that I am not proud of that realization. In fact, to admit that my place of birth is so behind in this respect is quite upsetting for me, especially because it seems to reinforce some pre-conceived ideas that are common around here... this is yet another aspect for South America to be considered inferior...

I am fed up with the prejudice and lack of information about Brazil that is still so common around here (subject for another entry). However, when we talk about prejudice against women I have no choice but to agree that my country is, in fact, way behind.

I want to do something about it, so I decided to explore this theme. I finally rediscovered the meaning of my theatre making, the reason why I wanted to do it in the first place: I want to help open people's minds – through theatre!

I want to find ways in which I can help my fellow Brazilian women to break free of the slavery we are in. And I want to be an active part of the transformation that I hope will happen in Brazilian society in regards to women's place.

Is this a good subject for a masters? Where do I start now? More thoughts to come...

Comentários

Tatiana Machado disse…
Natália! Orgulho :) I'm with you dude! Precisando do meu depoimento, pode contar! BJinho

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Le Jeu de Robin et Marion

Atomium, Flea Market, Fête de la BD... biking around Brussels

Pesquisando minhas origens