Obama visit his grandmother

Barack Obama will make a pause of 36 hours in his last days of campaign to go to Honolulu visit his ill grandmother, Ms. Dunham.

I think this is absolutely lovely.



I have an empathy for Barack Obama ever since I started hearing about him, during the primaries, among other reasons because his face reminded me of my grandfather - granted a good 30 years younger. But he's a politician, so I was very skeptical of this feeling. He turned out to have good ideas, so I was quite pleased to know that my empathy wasn't going to waste.

“When [he] announced he would stop campaigning for more than 36 hours starting on Thursday, and would instead fly to Hawaii to visit his gravely ill grandmother, presidential historians noted that it was an unprecedented step for a candidate this close to Election Day, but they differed about the political risks of such a personal decision.”1

I hope that Americans can see how important it is for a big politician to be a human being, and rule for human beings. Some observers have said his decision was political (that he was trying to gain the voter's heart by showing how good of a grandchild he is). I don't think so! Well, that might happen – he scored points with me, that's for sure (but I don't count as I'm not an American citizen to vote for him) – but to say he's doing it on purpose is just cheap.

Here's a comment by a New York Times reader: “God bless the woman who raised a mixed race child in racist America so well that he has grown up to be our next president. What a woman! What a grandmother! (...)”

It is refreshing to know that there are Americans who deserve our respect.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Le Jeu de Robin et Marion

Atomium, Flea Market, Fête de la BD... biking around Brussels

Pesquisando minhas origens