Um dos países em que passamos nessa viagem de bicicleta é a Itália. Cruzamos a fronteira suíço-italiana na cidade de Como e logo depois pegamos o trem (ou melhor, 4 trens) pra chegar em Rovigo, a região de onde alguns dos meus antepassados paternos vieram. Já faz tempo que minha tia Marlene está pesquisando a árvore genealógica da família e coletando os documentos necessários para dar a entrada na cidadania italiana, mas ainda faltam duas das certidões e eu me ofereci pra ir procurar em pessoa. Então eu e o Jon colocamos nossos disfarces de detetives e começamos a busca. A primeira parada foi na prefeitura de Rovigo (capital), aos trancos e barrancos eu consegui me fazer entender num italiano digno de "Terra Nostra" (leia-se "italiano de meia tigela"), com ajuda do meu querido ipod e do Ultralingua Italiano-Inglês . O atendente foi bem gentil, mas me disse que eu precisaria de mais detalhes pra encontrar o tal "certificato di matrimonio" dos meus tatatat...
Comentários
A: So, are you coming to the halloween party?
B: Are you kidding? It's the highlight of my yearly social calendar!
A: So i take it you already have a costume?
B: Yes, i'm going to be a gypsy.
A: Fascinating. What kind of a gypsy?
B: What do you mean, what kind? A gypsy costume is a gypsy costume. You've seen them; they're kind of like pirates, but with more gold and ruffles, and they live in wagons instead of ships.
A: Thank you for educating me!
B: Any time. So, what are you going as?
A: Well, i was going to go as Catwoman, but i find your idea of impersonating another ethnicity highly inspiring. I think i'll go as a Gadje.
B: A what?
A: A person who is not Romani, a non-gypsy. Generally understood to be a member of the majority white population.
B: That's weird. That doesn't sound like fun. You can't really dress up…and you sound kind of angry.
A: So in your culture, dressing up as another identity means you're angry at them?
B: That's not what i said. Why are you hispanics always so defensive?
A: I'm not hispanic!
B: Sorry, "latino".
A: I'm not latino, either. But i'm going to have a lot of fun with my costume. I find white Americans very exotic, in a lightly seductive way. They're kind of like the English, but instead of tea and crumpets they all drink coca-cola and eat grilled cheese sandwiches. It's really no wonder you all have such poor nutrition.
B: What the hell are you talking about?
A: I'm joking about your culture. I have read many books and made some astute observations. I have to go make my costume now. It will be sooo authentic.